"Write what you know" they say.

Even of what you know is benefits advice work and writing stories about it only pays enough to keep your colleagues in biscuits!



Saturday 22 November 2014

Journey's End?

I wrapped up the first draft of Grand Union yesterday evening, with a grand total of 62,307 words, so officially that's a 'win' for NaNoWriMo purposes.  Result!

What I don't yet have is a novel, though do have a story written down in the order I want to tell it using at least some of the required words.  The plan for the rest of the month is to use the dark and wet parts of my days off and evenings to take the rough edges off this raw material and then produce a proof copy of the book - several copies in fact - for final checks and small tweaks.

But I mean it to remain the 'one month book' - no second or subsequent drafts, no nit-picking.  I want to retain the speed and spontaneity of the original and too much tinkering will undermine that.

I still have two major projects I need to complete.  The Limited Capability paperback needs the proof-reading team's final lists of recommendations and corrections put into place so it can be let loose on the unsuspecting non-Kindle using public.  Claimant Commitment (or whatever it finally gets called - though I think this will be it) needs finishing and systematically reworking with a view to serialising it in the spring, ahead of the General Election of course. 

Despite my previous resolution, I am already having doubts about this being the last outing for Solent Welfare Rights Project; I quite fancy writing a collection of short stories spanning a longer timescale, starting with Hilary's early days as an advice worker and ending... well, later: no spoilers!

As for Daphne - she'll be back too; next November if not before!

No comments:

Post a Comment