"Write what you know" they say.

Even of what you know is benefits advice work and writing stories about it only pays enough to keep your colleagues in biscuits!



Friday 8 April 2016

Flower Power?

I'd love to be more like my 'strong female characters'; full of confidence and never afraid to face up to a challenge.  Unfortunately, I'm not really like that at all, especially when it comes to competitions.

Take the next 6x6 Reading Cafe, for instance.  Entries are now invited for the summer event on the theme of 'Blossomings'. Anyone who knows me or follows this blog would be forgiven for thinking that, for someone with my background, this should be the short-story scribbler's equivalent of a well-attended home fixture against already relegated opposition with no travelling support.  When I'm not doing the current day job (or the half of it I'm currently sharing with a colleague, while we wait to see what becomes of a vital funding bid) I'm not just a writer of 'welfare rights lit' and 4mph thrillers - I'm a gardener too!  So a six minute shortie with a hint of the horticultural would be right up my street - or garden path.

But it ain't so. I do have the germ of an idea for a story where plants play a part (and no, it doesn't start with a guy waking up in hospital with bandaged eyes, concerned that a day he knows is Wednesday sounds like a Sunday) but it needs more than six minutes to tell it well, has the potential to be a plot twist in a Daphne Randall mystery and doesn't really fit the 'Blossomings' brief.

Of course, to a truly creative writer, the 'blossoming' concept may have no floral connotations at all.  There are various episodes in the 'welfare rights lit' stories where characters might be said to 'blossom', both in their personal and professional lives.  I could, perhaps, try to rewrite one of Sally Archer's key Social Security tribunals, neither of which currently happens from her perspective nor is a major spoiler for the rest of the Severe Discomfort/Continual Supervision story.  It's an appealing prospect.  I like writing Sally - a much younger, even geekier, slightly taller and funnier version of me who, being a Hampshire lass, speaks like me too.  No more trying to inject a hint of Geordie into the reported speech, the inevitable pitfall last time around of picking a Daphne episode! 

On the other hand, there's something slightly lazy about sticking with tried and tested characters when the opportunity is there to find a new voice or experiment with an unfamiliar genre.  I have until 30th April to get my act together, so there is time yet for inspiration to strike, especially with most of my seed potatoes still to plant.

If I do get an idea, it will have to be an exceptionally good one and will need executing to a very high standard to earn a place.  I was proud to be selected to take part in the spring event and delighted that the slimmed-down version of Pots and Locks was so well-received by an audience which included some extremely accomplished local writers.  It was also a confidence-booster after my unsuccessful efforts for the S-o-T Literary Festival competition, which is coming up soon - might it be third time lucky?  Do I care enough to find out when they put Kirsty Allsop above Professor Mary Beard in the billing?  We'll have to see...

I haven't yet been brave enough to join the Wednesday evening gathering of the Renegade Writers, despite loving the group's name and feeling flattered at the invitation, though I should, both to listen to other writers and, in due course, get encouragement to raise my own game.

Maybe once the taters are all in...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment